Towers covered with greenery are not a new idea and the first ones are already getting built around the globe in an effort to fight the alarming pollution present in some cities. Now the Paris suburb of Villiers sur Marne is getting its own such tower. The so-called Forêt Blanche (which translates to White Forest) was designed by the famous architect Stefano Boeri, who is no stranger to proposing such vertical forest buildings. Towers based on his designs are already getting built in Switzerland and Milan, while a whole city of such towers is being planned in southern China. (more…)
Who says co-working spaces are only for big cities? There will soon be a place where you can go work in deep, untouched wilderness. The firm Carlo Ratti Associati is planning to build Pankhasari Retreat, which will be located in the Himalaya Mountains.
Mini House was developed as a collaboration between architect and designer Jonas Wagell and the Swedish house producer Sommarnöjen, and could be used as a cabin or guest house. Due to its success, the company has now developed Mini House 2.0, which could conceivably become a true family home. And the best thing about it is the speed with which in can be built.
This year’s winner of the eVolo Skyscraper Competition is the so-called “Vernacular Versatility” skyscraper, which was designed by the US architect/designer Yong Ju Lee. The “Vernacular Versatility” skyscraper design was inspired by the traditional Korean house called Hanok, the defining characteristic of which is a wooden structure that is completely exposed, along with a tilted roof. The eVolo Skyscraper Completion has been held since 2006 and was established “to recognize outstanding ideas for vertical living through the novel use of technology, materials, programs, aesthetics, and spatial organizations.”
There are several green events to attend while the kids are out of school this summer. Bring them along and make it an educational vacation!
Mark Your Calendars for these Upcoming Green Events
- NY13 Passive House Symposium – June 8, 2013 in New York City, New York
- GreenerBuilder 2013 – June 12, 2013 in San Francisco, California
- BALLE 2013 (Business Alliance for Local Living Economies) – June 12-14, 2013 in Buffalo, New York
- Sustainability and the C-Suite – June 13, 2013 – Online Webinar from University of Oregon
- LOHAS Business Conference (Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability) – June 18-20, 2013 in Boulder, Colorado
- Geothermal Energy Association (GEA) National Geothermal Summit – June 26-27, 2013 – Reno, Nevada
- InterSolar North America: Connecting Solar Business – July 8-11, 2013 in San Francisco, California
- Habitat X Summer National Conference – July 30 – August 2, 2013 in Helena, Montana
- Hanley Award for Vision and Leadership in Sustainable Housing: Award Presentation Dinner – September 4, 2013 in Washington, D.C.
- Solar Power International 2013 – October 21-24, 2013 in Chicago, Illinois