Ryan Naylor of Grow DesignÂ is taking on a a container home build as a DIY project, he is kind enough to have sent some details through on the first stage of his project.
– location: West Asheville – exact location is private for his families sake.
– materials: Mostly re-used, scrap, and surplus materials including (but not limited to) two 40′ HC (high-cube 9.5ft. tall) shipping containers, a spiral staircase, a claw-foot bathtub, penny kitchen floor, etc.
– cost: UNDER 100K total. (property, materials, labor, city fee’s, etc.) for 1400 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home.
– time to build: 6-8 months
– insulation: spray closed cell foam and batt
– windows: HUGE window panes from the Asheville courthouse (they ordered too many and some in the wrong sizes) and re-used, surplus, windows from friends/family/Craigslist
You can follow his journey at his purpose build blog 40×28.com