This week in Jetson Green Energy News, we’re reporting on a new green skyscraper in San Francisco, Top 10 Green Cities, Top 10 Green Projects, Donald Trump’s controversial (banned) anti-wind advertisement, environmental clean up in Wisconsin, new environmental funding in Minnesota, a new research facility in Colorado, and earthquake-resistant wallpaper. And, even though Earth Day is over, we still have plenty of green events for you to enjoy.
Tallest Tower on the West Coast to be Built in San Francisco
Project developers Hines, Houston, and Boston Properties broke ground on the 1,070-ft-tall Transbay Transit Tower after closing a land purchase for $192 million. Designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, it will be taller than the Wilshire Grand tower being built in Los Angeles and become the West Coast’s tallest building. Green features include integrated metal sunshades to reduce solar gain, low-E glass, heat-exchanging coils in the foundation, comprehensive water recycling systems, and high efficiency fresh air handlers.
New List: Top 10 Cities with Greenest Homes
Real estate broker Redfin has released its list of the top ten cities in the United States with sustainably-built homes. Features analyzed include solar, water efficiency, environmental controls, energy-efficient appliances, LEED certification, new green construction, and overall CO2 emissions. The top three cities are San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and Sacramento.
2013 Top Ten Green Projects Announced by AIA COTE
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) Committee on the Environment (COTE) has announced its Top Ten Green Projects for 2013 to celebrate structures that integrate architecture, natural systems, and technology to enhance and protect the environment, which include projects in the categories of housing, education, mixed-use, corporate, and government.
Brits Ban Advertisement from Donald Trump that Opposes Wind Farms in Scotland
Claiming it to be misleading, the Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) has banned an advertisement placed by Trump International Gold Club Scotland that suggested wind farms would hurt tourism in Scotland and adversely affect its landscape. Trump has accused the ASA of protecting Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland.
Wisconsin Utilities to Spend $1.2 Billion on Coal Power Plant Clean Up
In a settlement that was announced on Monday, the Environmental Protection Agency and Justice Department are going to assess utility companies in Wisconsin a $2.45 million civil penalty for air pollution violations. The companies have agreed to fund environmental projects, clean up coal-fired plants, and close older plants.
Minnesota House Passes Environmental Bill
A funding package for the environment, natural resources, and agriculture will increase groundwater monitoring expenditures while enforcing aquatic invasive species regulations was approved by the Minnesota House.
New NREL Facility to Help Add Renewable Resources to U.S. Power Grid
The new Energy Systems Integration Facility at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Colorado is going to find ways to increase the amount of renewable resources that are available to the power grid in the United States. The $135 million 182,500 square foot facility is among the world’s most technologically advanced.
German Researchers Develop Earthquake-Resistant Wallpaper
Designed by scientists at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Intelligent Composite Seismic Wallpaper is a glass-fiber textile that reinforces masonry walls in buildings that are built in seismically active areas.
Mark Your Calendars for these Upcoming Green Events
- Social Venture Network Spring Conference – April 25-28, 2013 in San Diego, California
- Fortune Brainstorm GREEN: Sustainable Solutions – April 29 – May 1, 2013 in Laguna Niguel, California
- 2013 ACI National Home Performance Conference – April 30 – May 3, 2013 in Denver, Colorado
- Ceres Conference 2013: Igniting Innovation, Scaling Sustainability – May 1-2, 2013 in San Francisco, California
- International Society of Sustainability Professionals (ISSP) Conference 2013 – May 8-10, 2013 in Chicago, Illinois
- 6th Annual Green Builder Home of the Year Awards – Sign up to receive the entry packet in early May 2013
- Tenth Annual AltBuild Expo: Alternative Materials and Design Expo – May 10-11, 2013 in Santa Monica, California
- Sustainable Brands 2013: From Revolution to Renaissance – June 3-6, 2013 in San Diego, California
- Pacific Coast Builder Conference (PCBC) 2013: The Art, Science + Business of Housing – June 5-6, 2013 in San Diego, California
- InterSolar North America: Connecting Solar Business – July 8-11, 2013 in San Francisco, California