This week in Jetson Green Energy News, weâ€™re reporting on recent energy-efficient design awards, a reinstatement of New Mexicoâ€™s eco-friendly building standards, new wind power coming to Canada, U.S. GSA sustainability goals, and Americaâ€™s continued concern for the economy over the environment. Plus, our calendar of upcoming green events gets some new additions.
Carbon Challenge Won by ZeroEnergy Design and Cho Benn Holback + Associates
A home design competition that challenges entrants to choose building materials with minimal environmental impact, Carbon Challenge, has been won by ZeroEnergy Design for a Habitat for Humanity home in Providence, Rhode Island, and by Cho Benn Holback + Associates for its updated row hoses in Baltimore, Maryland.
Green Enterprise IT Award Won by Denverâ€™s H+L Architecture for LEED Gold Supercomputing Center
The 2013 Green Enterprise IT (GEIT) Awards, presented by Uptime Institute, will honor H+L Architecture in the Facility Design Implementation category at the Instituteâ€™s eighth annual award ceremony and symposium next month for the design of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) Wyoming Supercomputing Center. Housing one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, the 153,000 square foot facility is targeting LEED Gold.
Green Building Codes Reinstated in New Mexico
A 2011 decision made by New Mexicoâ€™s state Construction Industries Commission was overturned by its Court of Appeals. Former Governor Bill Richardson had promoted the standards as the United Statesâ€™ most environmentally-friendly, but the current governorâ€™s administration tried to undo the regulations because of costs to developers and property owners.
Vestas Wind Systems to Fill Canadian Order for 166 Wind Turbines
The Blackspring Ridge Wind Project has just placed the largest order of wind turbines from Canada that Vestas has ever received. One hundred sixty-six V100-1.8-MW wind turbines will be manufactured by Vestas factories in Colorado. Blackspring is the sixth wind power plant in Canada to use the V100 1.8MW turbine, joining over 600 of them already in full operation at 13 locations in the U.S. and Canada.
U.S. Government Services Administration Targets Sustainability
The director of the Office of Federal High-Performance Green Buildings with the Government Services Administration (GSA), Kevin Kampschroer, in an interview with Jonathan Schein, Practice Leader with National Real Estate Investor (NREIonline.com), at the 2013 National Building Energy Summit in Washington, D.C., explains how efforts to become more efficient will help the economy and reduce foreign oil dependence.
Americans Still More Concerned About Economy than Environment
A recent Gallup poll reveals that â€œmore Americans are interested in protecting economic growth than in protecting the environment when the two goals are at odds.â€ While the economy wins out by only a 5% margin, this is the fifth year in a row that the poll shows a prioritization on economic protection.
Mark Your Calendars for these Upcoming Green Events
- Greenroofs and Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2013 – through April 13, 2013 on the Internet – Live and On Demand
- Reclaim + Remake Symposium – April 11-13, 2013 in Washington, D.C.
- Good Jobs, Green Jobs 2013 Conference – Letâ€™s Get to Work: Climate Change, Infrastructure and Innovation – April 16-18, 2013 in Washington, D.C.
- American Solar Energy Society (ASES) SOLAR 2013 – April 16-20, 2013 in Baltimore, Maryland
- Future Energy Conference – April 16-17, 2013 in Portland, Oregon
- San Francisco Exploratorium Grand Opening – April 17, 2013 in San Francisco, California
- Green California Summit: Greening by Example – April 18-19, 2013 in Sacramento, California
- Solar Living Institute Earth Day Festival – April 20, 2013 in Hopland, California
- Bullitt Center Grand Opening – April 22, 2013 in Seattle, Washington (read the Jetson Green post about The Worldâ€™s Greenest Commercial Building)
- Earth Day Picnic for Earth – Earth Day, 2013 – Worldwide, for The Nature Conservancy All Hands On Earth
- New York Times Energy for Tomorrow Conference – April 25, 2013 in New York City, New York
- Social Venture Network Spring Conference – April 25-28, 2013 in San Diego, California
- 2013 ACI National Home Performance Conference – April 30 – May 3, 2013 in Denver, Colorado
- Tenth Annual AltBuild Expo: Alternative Materials and Design Expo – May 10-11, 2013 in Santa Monica, California
- Sustainable Brands 2013: From Revolution to Renaissance – June 3-6, 2013 in San Diego, California
- Pacific Coast Builder Conference (PCBC) 2013: The Art, Science + Business of Housing – June 5-6, 2013 in San Diego, California
- InterSolar North America: Connecting Solar Business – July 8-11, 2013 in San Francisco, California