In the California city of Walnut Creek, this stunning green project is nearing completion with occupancy planned for October 2009. 555YVR gets its name from its location — 555 Ygnacio Valley Road, which is conveniently located within walking distance of BART and a number of downtown restaurants and nightclubs. Thompson | Dorfman Partners developed 55YVR with the architectural help of Kwan Henmi and KTGY Group, and the project was built to LEED standards. Some of the green aspects include the following:
- Floor to ceiling, energy efficient low-E windows;
- Water efficient fixtures and Toto dual-flush toilets;
- Water-efficient landscaping;
- Energy efficient lighting;
- Passive solar heating;
- A cool roof deck;
- Bicycle storage and racks for residents;
- Low-VOC adhesives and low-emitting paints;
- Environmentally friendly interior trim and shelving; and
- Light pollution reduction technology and design.
In addition, the developer diverted 50% of construction and demolition waste from the landfill.
The developer also stacked the amenities for future residents with a courtyard, fitness center, media room, and a rooftop terrace with an outdoor kitchen and fireplace. 555YVR will have a mixture of 87 condominiums homes, as well as town homes and live-work units. The homes range in size from 763 to 1,308 square feet and price from the low $300k to mid $700k. Check out 555YVR.
Photo credits: Christopher Mayer Photography; aerial: Steve Proehl.