In the southeast Seattle neighborhood of Beacon Hill, youâ€™ll find four, modern, single-family homes. The development was completed by Dwell Development LLC, and each residence received Built Green 5-Star certification, which is the highest level possible within the Built Green program. Located at 1756, 1758, 1760, and 1762 18th Avenue South, two of the homes have 800 watt solar arrays and the other two are wired and ready to go. These 1,600+ square-foot homes also have some of the following green elements:
- Green roof planters;
- 100 gallons of water storage per home;
- Gravel and drought-tolerant plants;
- Low flow kitchen and bathroom faucets;
- Garageless construction for two homes;
- Efficient envelope construction with EcoBatt insulation;
- Efficient on-demand hot water heater;
- Natural, updraft cooling rather than AC;
- High-efficiency hydronic heating system;
- Energy Star appliances and heating equipment;
- Urea formaldehyde-free insulation, cabinets, and trim;
- Low-VOC/low-toxic paints for all interior surfaces;
- Locally produced cedar siding, framing lumber, and concrete; and
- Open layout plan to minimize the need for interior walls.
Moreover, because of the low-turf landscape scheme, pervious surfaces, and rainwater collection, the site requires no irrigation. Dwell Development diverted 90-95% of the construction waste and invited neighbors to use salvaged siding, beams, and framing lumber from the site. And all four homes are tested to be 32% more efficient than code.