I mentioned Nanosolar back in August because I found an excellent video about the company — they’re poised to dramatically flip this solar industry inside out. Today comes news that they shipped their first product and received an actual revenue check. This is a big deal. Thin film solar is incredible because it can be used more flexibly and produced at a much lower cost.
Their powersheet product was recognized by Popular Science as 2007 Innovation of the Year. Now that the product is a reality, we’re going to see some craziness. They’ve accomplished a slew of world’s firsts (below) and decided to auction off an early batch of product on eBay. Unfortunately, that’s all you’re likely to get because they’re sold out for the next 12 months! Better start your orders now.
- worldâ€™s first printed thin-film solar cell in a commercial panel product;
- worldâ€™s first thin-film solar cell with a low-cost back-contact capability;
- worldâ€™s lowest-cost solar panel â€“ which we believe will make us the first solar manufacturer capable of profitably selling solar panels at as little as $.99/Watt;
- worldâ€™s highest-current thin-film solar panel â€“ delivering five times the current of any other thin-film panel on the market today and thus simplifying system deployment;
- an intensely systems-optimized product with the lowest balance-of-system cost of any thin-film panel â€“ due to innovations in design we have included.