Tom Bassett-Dilley recently sent us these photos of his prototype green garage on a 30' wide lot in south Oak Park, Illinois. The garage was built with FSC-certified lumber, a salvaged concrete slab, locally produced recycled content steel siding, and salvaged cedar siding. There's also a Live Roof green roof, which was designed to channel water into rain barrels for collection.
At the end of each year, Environmental Design + Construction magazine reviews products mentioned in its New+Notable and Products Focus sections. The magazine next examines these products for the fifteen that received the most reader requests. ED+C's 2009 Top Products contains a number of entries designed to save water or manage water. You've probably seen some of these products already, whether on BuildingGreen's Top-10 Green Building Products list or in our green materials archives. If not, check these out:
- The value of building commissioning.
- 17% of new homes get Energy Star seal.
- Report focuses role of water in sustainable design.
- Solar panels sometimes don't mix with HOAs.
- The Green Tragedy: LEED's Lost Decade.
- Is LEED on track to save the world?
- Holding LEED up to the light.
- Using local materials is no joke.
Also, follow @jetsongreen on Twitter for more news, links, and commentary.