- Building efficiency replaces grandiosity.
- Small wind turbines leave some in a huff.
- Overcoming barriers to manufactured housing.
- Study: 50% of non-residential buildings will be green by 2015.
- Getting answers from an affordable, green housing developer.
- California officials adopt mandatory green building code.
- Insurers green up gray coverage areas.
- The IAQ challenge.
Recently, we had to opportunity to talk with Don Ferrier about the progress of a home called the Zero Energy Casita. Ferrier, president of Ferrier Custom Homes, started building earth-sheltered homes 25 years ago and has the distinct accomplishment of building the first LEED Platinum home in Texas. In this net zero energy beauty, Ferrier is building a home that generates as much energy in the course of a year as it consumes.
A new solar racking structure — one of the largest continuous elevated solar racking structures in the country that spans the length of three football fields — was just completed for the Manheim Auto Auction in Bordentown, New Jersey. Rated at 1 MW, the project includes 5,880 photovoltaic panels covering 104,000 square feet.