Wisconsin-based MODS International builds modular and temporary shelter solutions that incorporate the use of converted cargo shipping containers. Earlier this month, MODS announced that they are donating a MODS unit to a family that lost their home in the tornadoes that recently hit the El Reno area of Oklahoma.
Allies Farmhouse is a renovation of structures on a former military base that was used by the United States Air Force 381st Bombardment Group during World War II when it was known as airbase RAF Ridgewell. Farmers James and Claudia Grey enlisted Cameron Scott from Timber Design to transform the single-story public building and the one-and-a-half story housing area into a sustainable home on their farm. Doors and windows are from Rationel doors and windows.
Renovating this 1960s ranch-style house in Maine is a “rags to riches” story that may achieve LEED Platinum. Jesse Thompson, AIA, partner at Kaplan Thompson Architects, and his wife Betsy Scheintaub, a fiber textile artist, collaborated on the Ranch Revival project while living in the run-down house with their two children.
There are several green events to attend while the kids are out of school this summer. Bring them along and make it an educational vacation!
Mark Your Calendars for these Upcoming Green Events
- NY13 Passive House Symposium – June 8, 2013 in New York City, New York
- GreenerBuilder 2013 – June 12, 2013 in San Francisco, California
- BALLE 2013 (Business Alliance for Local Living Economies) – June 12-14, 2013 in Buffalo, New York
- Sustainability and the C-Suite – June 13, 2013 – Online Webinar from University of Oregon
- LOHAS Business Conference (Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability) – June 18-20, 2013 in Boulder, Colorado
- Geothermal Energy Association (GEA) National Geothermal Summit – June 26-27, 2013 – Reno, Nevada
- InterSolar North America: Connecting Solar Business – July 8-11, 2013 in San Francisco, California
- Habitat X Summer National Conference – July 30 – August 2, 2013 in Helena, Montana
- Hanley Award for Vision and Leadership in Sustainable Housing: Award Presentation Dinner – September 4, 2013 in Washington, D.C.
- Solar Power International 2013 – October 21-24, 2013 in Chicago, Illinois
Looking for a green way to spend your summer vacation this year? Less than a one-hour drive east of Seattle, Washington, you can find the Tolt MacDonald Park & Campground nestled in the Tolt River-John MacDonald Park, which is run by King County Natural Resources and Parks.
The Tolt Campground unveiled its first new Camping Container last September, an upcycled surplus 24-foot shipping container that utilizes recycled and sustainable materials to provide comfortable accommodations to visiting families (it sleeps up to four in a double/single futon bunk bed and a futon chair that converts to a single bed).
Casa CorManca is a sustainable home that was designed by Paul Cremoux Studio and is located in Mexico City, where sustainable construction has yet to make a significant impact on some of the world’s worst urban air pollution levels. Cremoux says that many of his clients do not yet realize the importance of a sustainable design strategy in heavily-populated city that is located in a hot, dry desert climate.