If you're in the market for green, modern, designer-built furniture, make sure to check out Studio Nola. You can see a few examples below. These pieces are built with FSC certified woods, 90% recycled steel, zero-VOC powder coated paints, low-VOC sealers, and locally sourced materials. Plus, if you need one or a few shipped, Studio Nola will send them out on a carrier using the EPA's SmartWay transport system.
- Architecture that imitates life.
- Communes of the green generation.
- Approach green renovations wisely.
- Living roofs are the new green cash crop.
- Cities weigh green features v. expense in new buildings.
- 10 strategies to increase home energy efficiency.
- Air conditioning with ice.
Follow @jetsongreen on Twitter for more news, links, and commentary.
We're in beta with a green job board, and everything's been going pretty good so far. Plus, with all the talk about green collar jobs, we thought we could at least help out a little bit. So if you're looking or thinking about looking for a job, make sure to check out these green positions. And if you have a green position, we provide free listings.
- Sustainable Building Specialist, Habitat for Humanity, Louisville, KY.
- Environmental Consultant, Green Restaurant Assoc., Boston, MA.
- Green Building Consultant, Paladino, Seattle, WA.
- Green Building Consultant, AECOM, Orange, CA.
- Home Performance Trainer, Build It Green, Berkeley, CA.
- Retail Energy and Sustainability Manager, REI, Kent, WA.
Also, follow @greenerjobs on Twitter for more green job listings.
In Surrey (near Vancouver), Canada, a new prefab company is taking shape. Preform Construction has a 20,000 square-foot factory for building Predesigned Living Units that have been designed by Tony Robins of AA Robins Architect. The home featured in this article is made with one unit and includes some of the following green elements:
Perched on the east side of the city is this renovated gem at 3602 Apollo. I saw it a few months ago mid-renovation, and it's hard to miss: floating entry steps, dark mystical brick, expansive new windows, and a modern cedar fence. Wow! The home sits on a corner, and that deck provides captivating views of the surrounding mountains and downtown Salt Lake City. Plus, it's for sale.
About two days after hearing that Coolerado had won the Western Cooling Challenge for the hybrid commercial version of this technology, I saw this on a newly built home. This is what appears to be the M50 Coolerado. Coolerado says they have the most efficient air conditioning system made — it uses up to 90% less electricity than a traditional air conditioner, depending on the humidity and elevation above sea level. High and dry works best; see how: