It’s interesting to see Passive Houses — like the Breezeway House in Millcreek, Utah — gain more and more recognition in both the mainstream media and design and construction circles. Another project worth keeping an eye on, Passive House in the Woods, is quietly moving forward with carbon neutral ambitions and a goal to be the first Passive House in the state of Wisconsin.
A new start up company based out of Boulder is making these Studio Sheds for use as equipment, storage, or office sheds. They're modern, green, and somewhat affordable with models starting at $4,900 (while the DIY flat-pack kit sells at a small discount). You purchase the shed, secure the permits, set the foundation, and Studio Shed installs the shed in about 6-8 hours.
This Samsung Green Tomorrow project is the first in East Asia to achieve LEED Platinum certification and the first zero-energy house in South Korea, according to project consultant ARUP. Located in Yongin of the Gyeonggi Province, the project includes a zero-energy home of 4,553 square feet and visitor pavilion of 3,208 square feet with some incredible green features.
- Home windmills spin debate.
- Avoiding greenwash and its dangers.
- Banks roll out eco-friendly bank branches.
- Checking sustainability in the hospitality industry.
- Two new enemies: Solar and PACE programs.
- Green home appraisals and insurance.
- Is Earth Day green marketing overkill?
- Finding enough green to be green.
- Cashing in on green business.