Today Philips announced Hue — “the world’s smartest web-enabled LED home lighting system.” The new LED lighting system is available exclusively from Apple, both online and in stores, starting on October 30, 2012, and requires an iOS or Android app and a home Wi-Fi router. It can handle up to 50 light bulbs, each of which output 600 lumens and use about 8.5 watts of energy.
Laneway houses, like this one on 19th and Slocan, seem to flourish in Vancouver. This is another contemporary, small home by Lanefab, which is the firm behind the Mendoza and Net-Zero Solar laneway houses. The 800 square-foot home (including a 200 square-foot flex-garage) shelters a young couple that built the property on their parent’s property — an intergenerational phenomenon made possible with flexible laneway zoning.
- Modular home emphasizes energy efficiency.
- [USA Today]: In the US building industry, is it too easy to be green?
- [USGBC]: Statement in response to USA Today news article.
- Low-income Philadelphians get ultra-efficient, high-quality homes.
- Green roof and green wall market growing like weeds.
- Green home aims to be one of a kind.
- The three rules of air sealing.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter for updates, article summaries, newsworthy links, and other site news.