Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Requirements of Green Roof

It will be of great help if someone can let me know about the technical requirement of Green Roof.. as in, what kind of plants can be applied on the roof?

Thanks.

Depends whether you are looking for an extensive green roof or an intensive one. Generally, extensive ones have low lying plants so as to provide maximum groundcover, erosion resistance, water retention and respirative transpiration of moisture. Usually you use plants with foliage from 2 to 6 inches and from 2 to 4 inches of soil in extensive green roofs.

On the other hand, the intensive green roof intends to offer the view of natural landscape installed on the rooftop. Intensive green roofs usually use plants with foliage from 1 to 12 feet and require considerable soil depth.

Whether you are trying to modify the existing structure or looking for a new construction, it is best to consult a structural engineer who can guide you in determining the right structural requirements for your green roof.

Comment

Thank you very much, Andrew! Does that mean both extensive and intensive green roof are difficult to be managed? I mean, will the irrigation and drainage pose big problems either way?

Comment

I do not have expertise in this field neither have that much knowledge in the core facts of roof gardening. As far as the practical matter goes, a structure must be able to withstand additional weight load. Plus, there are some kinds of barrier which need to be in place to keep moisture and soil from damaging the structure of the roof or the entire house.

Comment

Working...
        X