As the new year begins and the US housing market improves Deltec Homes has focused on quality and environmental responsibility which Deltec president Steve Linton says are his core values. “When the housing market crashed there was pressure to cut back on quality, craftsmanship and our environmental initiatives, but we know sticking to our values was key to survival.”
Simple clean and tiny, the “Studio Shed” can be nestled in a little corner. They are tiny and functional and reasonably priced, perfect for creating that little personal space for a hobby, small dwelling or just relaxing….
Ryan Naylor of Grow Design is taking on a a container home build as a DIY project, he is kind enough to have sent some details through on the first stage of his project.
- location: West Asheville – exact location is private for his families sake.
- materials: Mostly re-used, scrap, and surplus materials including (but not limited to) two 40′ HC (high-cube 9.5ft. tall) shipping containers, a spiral staircase, a claw-foot bathtub, penny kitchen floor, etc.
- cost: UNDER 100K total. (property, materials, labor, city fee’s, etc.) for 1400 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home.
- time to build: 6-8 months
- insulation: spray closed cell foam and batt
- windows: HUGE window panes from the Asheville courthouse (they ordered too many and some in the wrong sizes) and re-used, surplus, windows from friends/family/Craigslist