We've seen a lot of effort to provide emergency and long-term shelter for disaster areas. For Haiti in particular, some groups, like Shipping Container Housing and Green Container International Aid, are trying to reuse shipping containers to get people out of the elements and into something that can withstand hurricane season in a couple short months. The renderings shown here are from GCIA, who is seeking the donation of containers to construct container cities in the area.
Notwithstanding the much talked about death of prefab, factory-built homes that are energy efficient and made with healthy materials keep finding buyers. Blu Homes, a prefab startup that just received $7 million from private investors and is opening a new 80,000 square-foot facility in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, built this green home for Rainy Day and Eileen Cullinane in Rhode Island.
- Neighborhood tests food recycling.
- Are green buildings always healthy?
- Giving green buildings a smarter skin.
- Five sustainability tips for small businesses.
- Green practices conflict with homeowners associations.
- Green home guidelines will sunset this year.
- The carbon footprint of water.