This week in Jetson Green Energy News, London might build a bicycle super-highway, KLM is flying planes with biofuel from old cooking oil, Australia might be reaching solar power saturation, U.S. green car sales are on the rise, Guatamala might get pay-as-you-go solar power, and we have new upcoming green events.
London Mayor Proposes £913 Million Cycling Infrastructure Plan
Mayor Boris Johnson wants to create a an unbroken network of bicycle routes and make London a “world-class cycling city,” saying, “The Westway, the ultimate symbol of how the urban motorway tore up our cities, will become the ultimate symbol of how we are claiming central London for the bike.”
Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Demand Expected to Increase 7% During 2013
Will Australia Reach Solar Power Saturation?
KLM to Fuel Tranatlantic Flights with Biofuel
Dutch airline KLM will soon be offering weekly transatlantic flights that are powered by old-cooking-oil-derived biofuels, expanding on its current offerings for travel between New York and Amsterdam.
U.S. EPA Ranks Cities with Energy Star Buildings
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has released its list of metropolitan areas with the most Energy Star-certified commercial buildings, ranking Los Angeles, Washington, Chicago, New York, and Atlanta in the top five and an increase of 24 percent in certified projects.
Solar Potential is Greater Than Petroleum Productivity in Libya
Research suggests that Libya has a significant, untapped potential for solar and wind power because of its land availability and high levels of daily solar radiation and could become clean-energy independent.
Green Car Sales Increase by 15% in United States
Sales figures of green cars (hybrids, electric, and “green-ish” diesels) for February 2013 show that United States consumer demand for energy-efficient vehicles is on the rise.
Guatemalan Renewable Energy Company to Launch Pay-As-You-Go Solar
Currently raising money for a launch, Quetsol has come up with a way to bring solar energy to the developing world with a pay-as-you-go home solar energy system. Help them reach their goal.
Maryland Offshore Wind Energy Act of 2013 Needs Governor Approval
The Maryland Senate passed the Maryland Offshore Wind Energy Act of 2013 that will add incentives to the development of over 200 megawatts of wind power off the coast of Ocean City, Maryland.
New Study Could Change LED Technology
Researchers have discovered a way to mimic the glow of fireflies in application to LED technology and increase performance as much as 55%.
Mark Your Calendars for these Upcoming Green Events
- Compostmodern Resilience: DESIGN TO IMPROVE SOCIETY AND THE ENVIRONMENT – March 22-23, 2013 in San Francisco, California
- Portland Better Living Show – March 22-24, 2013 in Portland, Oregon
- Reclaim + Remake Symposium – April 11-13, 2013 in Washington, D.C.
- Future Energy Conference – April 16-17, 2013 in Portland, Oregon
- 2013 ACI National Home Performance Conference – April 30-May 3, 2013 in Denver, Colorado
- Tenth Annual AltBuild Expo: Alternative Materials and Design Expo – May 10-11, 2013 in Santa Monica, California
- Pacific Coast Builder Conference (PCBC) 2013: The Art, Science + Business of Housing – June 5-6, 2013 in San Diego, California