It’s been another month, and I’m happy to have you as a reader. I want to be honest for a second … I hope you don’t mind. Sometime in the last month, Jetson Green celebrated about five years in publication. Can you believe that?! I’m just in awe of what I’ve learned and seen and covered. There’s so much going on in just our tiny niche of “green homes.”
I should let you know that I personally never saw myself becoming a publisher when I started this site. I started Jetson Green as an outlet for something that I’m passionate about — green homes, modern prefab, alternative energy, etc. Increasingly, to give these topics the kind of attention worth reading, I find myself spending more time with research and less time with publishing. I find myself reading more and writing less. And I’m thinking more and saying less.
Some of this comes from a deep desire to avoid wasting your time. That’s the last thing I want to do.
But some of this introspection, if you will, may come from being somewhat of a new dad with young boys. Maybe it comes from an evolving attitude towards life in general. Or maybe it comes from a nagging thought inside my head: “Who on earth practices law during the day, blogs at night and on the weekend, stays active in the local community, and sleeps give or take five hours a night every night for five years?“ Talk about the most unsustainable work-life balance ever.
That said, I have to say, I’m having a blast and wouldn’t change a thing so far.
What’s happening, however, is I’m seriously evaluating my trajectory for the next year. For full disclosure, I’ve been approached a few times about selling this site, and those talks haven’t materialized because I am the site. I get the feeling potential buyers want some sort of passive income stream or something — robots pumping out widgets for a steady line of income. So, to make this a serious business, I need to focus on building a team, creating processes, and becoming the most dominant publisher ever. And maybe that’s where things go. Or maybe not. I’m thinking about these things and will probably make some changes that you’ll notice over time. I’ll keep you posted, that’s for sure. But I just want to let you know that the next year should be different. If things aren’t different, I think I’ll have failed you as a reader and myself in my own personal goals.
If you have any thoughts, please feel free to email me at preston at jetsongreen dot com. Again, I’m thankful to have you as a reader. Keeping sending us your news and tips.
Meanwhile, here’s an outline of coverage from July. The most shared new coverage from the month centered around shipping container projects: the bright Liray House and a faux container hotel in China.
Innovative Prefab & Other Projects:
- Luxe Desert Prefab Now Available in Moab
- Prefab Aktiv Ideabox Summer in the City
- The First Container Home in the Hamptons
- Sunset Magazine Idea House Prefab in California
- NAHB Green Remodel Project of the Year 2012
- The First Passive House Residence in Virginia
- Prefab Eco-Friendly Tiny Studio in Austin
- Reclaimed Tiny Getaway Cabin on the Hillside
- CalMini Solo Prefab Showcase at Dwell on Design
- LEED Platinum Neptune Norte in Encinitas
- LEED Platinum Home Addition in Venice
- Bright Shipping Container Casa Built in Chile
- Five-Star Luxe Container Hotel Opens in China
- Factory-Built Micro-Homes in San Francisco
- Snoozebox is a Portable Container Hotel
- ClearSpace Keeps Prefab Simple in Austin
Technology & Products Innovation:
- Alva is an Edison Inspired LED Light Lamp
- LiveScreen is a Mobile Urban Living Wall
- Bornay Two-Blade Wind Turbines from Spain
- Bespoke Eco-Friendly Railing by BOK Modern
- The World’s Most Energy Efficient Heat Pump
- JUSTLED Intros Loop Nature LED Bulb
Know-How & Other Green News:
- Study: Green Home Labels Influence Home Values
- A House That Fits Like a Good Suit [Video]
- Delta Faucet Taps the Maker Movement: Part I
- Delta Faucet Taps the Maker Movement: Part II
- Delta Faucet Taps the Maker Movement: Giveaway
- Week in Review Archives
Also, subscribe to our weekly newsletter for updates, article summaries, newsworthy links, and other site news.