A reader was kind enough to send us listing information on this contemporary home that's located three blocks from Kehena Beach in Hawaii. The home has two masses separated by a breezeway — one side has the living, dining, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom, while the other side has the master suite and bathroom. It was built to a Built Green 2-Star level of certification and includes some of the following green elements:
- Rainwater collection;
- Natural ventilation and ceiling fans (no AC);
- Efficient CFL and LED lighting;
- Energy Star appliances;
- Low-VOC paints throughout;
- Cork flooring and Trex decking;
- Durable metal roofing with radiant barrier;
- On-demand water heating; and
- Retaining wall designed for vegetable beds.
This home is located in Puna, where residents tend to value low-impact and off-grid style living. Indeed, although the home draws power from the grid, all of the water comes from an on-site rainwater catchment system
Designed by Bob Kirk and built by Asher Trimble, it's currently listed for $279,900, which includes 972 square feet of interior space, 326 square feet of outdoor covered space, and a 1/4 acre lot in tropical landscape setting.
Credits: Green Modern Hawaii.