Recently I noticed this container structure, The Moderne Showroom, which is a sales center for a mixed-use tower planned for Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It's not the first container sales center we've seen — recall the MirabeauB sales center — but it's interesting, temporary, and functional. The structure was designed by Rinka Chung Architecture and provides another example of shipping container reuse in an architectural context.
This is the first economy hotel in the nation to obtain LEED certification, according to a recent press release by Accor North America. Located in Northlake near Texas Motor Speedway, the Motel 6 combines European style rooms, modern detailing, and eco-friendly elements while still remaining economic and approachable. The green hotel opened in October 2009 and features some of the following green elements:
- Green pools make a splash.
- Building a smaller house is better.
- 6 ways you're probably wasting water.
- Getting the most out of your green lease.
- New efficient energy code will save a fortune.
- Round 2: solar panels versus a maple tree.
- Avoiding LEED liability by over achieving.
- Walking — not just for cities anymore.