This is the first economy hotel in the nation to obtain LEED certification, according to a recent press release by Accor North America. Located in Northlake near Texas Motor Speedway, the Motel 6 combines European style rooms, modern detailing, and eco-friendly elements while still remaining economic and approachable. The green hotel opened in October 2009 and features some of the following green elements:
- Thermal solar water heating;
- Reflective cool roof;
- Low-E tinted glass windows;
- Low-energy LED and CFL lighting;
- High-efficiency packed terminal AC;
- Flooring with 80% pre-consumer recycled content;
- Native landscaping with low-water landscaping;
- Low-flow 1.1 gallon pressurized toilets;
- Water-efficient sinks and showers; and
- FSC-certified wood for construction.
The property was designed also to minimize exposure to the hot summer sun from the west. As a result of all green measures, the hotel is estimated to use about 20% less energy than a comparable hotel.
Motel 6 Northlake-Speedway was designed by BOKA Powell in Dallas and is located at 13601 Raceway Drive in Northlake.
Credit: Accor North America, Inc.