If you've been to Bend, Oregon — smack dab in the center of the state on the dry side — you know it's a cool place with a ton of outdoor, vacation, and eco-friendly options. That's why the owners of this vacation rental, Helios NW Eco-House, decided to go ahead and earn LEED Gold certification. It's actually, according to the owners' research, the first vacation rental home in the state to receive this level of certification.
- An energy-saving air conditioner.
- Three best ways to become eco-friendly.
- AIA develops tool to track predicted energy use.
- DOE launches site for affordable efficient windows.
- Electricians doing business with five green retrofits.
- You can't buy green without being green.
- Mayors back green construction code.
- Inefficient builders about to hit a wall.
Popular Science just published an interesting roundup of green communities in an article now titled, "Nine of the World's Most Promising Carbon-Neutral Communities." You'll recognize several of these communities as we've mentioned them previously. What's important is the notion that reducing an environmental impact can be ultra effective when done on a large scale.