Notwithstanding the much talked about death of prefab, factory-built homes that are energy efficient and made with healthy materials keep finding buyers. Blu Homes, a prefab startup that just received $7 million from private investors and is opening a new 80,000 square-foot facility in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, built this green home for Rainy Day and Eileen Cullinane in Rhode Island.
- Neighborhood tests food recycling.
- Are green buildings always healthy?
- Giving green buildings a smarter skin.
- Five sustainability tips for small businesses.
- Green practices conflict with homeowners associations.
- Green home guidelines will sunset this year.
- The carbon footprint of water.
Announcements from LightFair this week lit up the news world. Lighting Science Group introduced cheap 40-watt and 60-watt replacement Definity LEDs, while Philips unveiled a brighter, more expensive 60-watt replacement EnduraLED. Not content with sitting the sidelines, Osram Sylvania today announced a bright 60-watt replacement LED that outputs 810 lumens.
Update 3/31/2011: The First Passive House in North Carolina.
Recently we caught wind of a Passive House under construction in North Carolina. Chris Senior, certified Passive House consultant, along with his company Anchorage Building Corporation, the contractor, sent us these media files and a note that the home will be on the Raleigh area NAHB National Green Building Home Tour on May 15 and 22.