Recently, the home of architects Doug Glasgow (Lord, Aeck & Sargent) and Yun Lee (HDR CUH2A), located at 715 Kirk Road in Decatur, Georgia, was awarded LEED Platinum certification. It’s the first renovation in the state to achieve LEED certification, and the first renovation in the southeast to obtain Platinum level certification. The gut rehab was performed by Hammertime Construction, a firm with expertise in green building. Take a look inside …
To get an idea of the transformation, it’s interesting to note that prior to renovation, the HERS index for this 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom project came in at 133. After the renovation, the HERS index came in at 53, marking a significant 80 point improvement!
In addition to obtaining LEED certification, the home achieved certification under the Energy Star program, as well as for Earthcraft Renovation. Originally built in the 1950s, the home now includes some of the following green elements:
- Energy Star appliances;
- LED and CFL lighting;
- Triple-glazed low-e windows;
- Low-VOC paints and stains;
- Dual-flush toilets and low-flow fixtures;
- Recycled content countertops (IceStone, Paperstone, stainless steel);
- Solar thermal hot water w/ evacuated tube collector panels;
- Basement 120-gallon storage tank w/ on-demand hot water recirculation system using motion sensors and switches for faucets;
- 5,000 gallon rainwater harvesting system for irrigation;
- Supply lines for future rainwater or greywater use for toilets;
- Drain lines for future greywater collection;
- Efficient enveloped insulated with Icynene spray foam; and
- Efficient HVAC system and ERV.
Wood from dead hickory trees on the lot was used for the laundry room flooring and screen porch ceiling. Also, prior to construction, all interior materials were removed and donated for reuse, while all other non-salvageable materials were recycled through a local building recycler. The home at 715 Kirk Road is, start to finish, a fine green renovation.
Photo credits: Hammertime Construction.
Article tags: Georgia, LEED Platinum, residential