About a week ago, the Rocky Mountain Institute launched Green Footstep, a free online carbon calculator for reducing emissions in building construction and retrofit projects. The website also features three case studies together with an explanation of the Green Footstep methodology. With the tool, you can:
This is the Idea House by Broadway Malyan for Sime Darby Property, one of the largest property developers in Malaysia. The home was designed as an attempt to become the first carbon zero residence in South East Asia. The home would be prefabricated in modules to save on labor costs, speed up the construction process, and make deconstruction of the home easy at the end of its useful life. Some other green aspects of the home design include:
The USGBC has unveiled a half-dozen new credits for LEED which are being investigated in a pilot program currently underway. Pilot LEED credits include: Life Cycle Assessment of Building Assemblies and Materials; PBT Source Reduction; Medical and Process Equipment Efficiency; Innovative Ventilation; and Preliminary Integrative Project Planning & Design (2 credits).
- Starchitecture and sustainability.
- Capitalizing on the growing green economy.
- Five next-gen green building materials to watch.
- The Living Building Challenge spreads it petals.
- Going back to nature with golf's greener pastures.
- Sustainable Sites Initiative gives four stars for green landscaping.
- Using recycled materials, innovation to reinvent building materials.
- Who is liable for green building performance?
- Demolish, rather deconstruct, with care.
- The connected car.
Also, follow @jetsongreen on Twitter for more news, links, and commentary.
The USGBC, American Society of Interior Designers (ASID), and The Network of the Hospitality Industry (NEWH) together announced the winner of the first ever Sustainable Suite Design Competition. The purpose of the competition was to showcase the best hospitality design strategies that boast environmental responsibility while enhancing the guest experience. Out of 65 professional design entries, WATG and IDEO took the top prize for their suite, Haptik.