Owners Millie Leung and David Huang just broke ground on this modern green home in Washington. "The Green Concept Home" is the first single-family home registered under LEED-H in Bellevue, and the owners hope to obtain Built Green certification, too. David (of Modus V Studio) designed the home, and both Millie and David will direct its construction over the next year. Here's the layout and what they're planning in terms of green elements:
- Solar hot water heater;
- Solar photovoltaic panels;
- Structural insulated panels (SIPS);
- Rainwater collection system;
- Heat recovery ventilator;
- Radiant heat flooring;
- Bamboo flooring;
- Recycled content countertops and recycled content metal roof;
- Energy Star appliances and fixtures; and
- Low flow water fixtures and low maintenance landscaping.
The Green Concept Home will not only be a prototype, but it will be a demonstration home, too. Along these lines, the owners are locking down partner relationships, so if you're interested in getting involved, make sure to contact Millie.
The 2,840 square-foot home is estimated to cost about $200 per square foot to build (not counting any architect or contractor markup). I imagine $200 per square foot will go a long way, so we'll follow the blog over the next year and provide an update upon completion.
[+] The Green Concept Home in Bellevue, WA.
Rendering credits: Modus V Studio Architects.