Several years in the making, Laguna Beach now gets its Susi Q Senior and Community Center. The project is the culmination of the efforts of many — designed by LPA, Inc., built by Swinerton Builders, and project management by Griffin Structures Inc. — and includes 8,200 square feet for the Senior Center and 8,000 square feet for the Community Center. The pictures below show a beautiful, fresh, and contemporary space with clean lines, but let's also take note of a few sustainable design elements:
- Natural daylight through skylights and solar tubes;
- Operable aluminum-clad wood windows;
- Water efficiency through drip irrigation and water efficient fixtures;
- Heat island reduction through a cool roof and covered parking;
- Use of building materials with high recycled content; and
- The recycling of 75 percent of the construction waste.
There's a YouTube video providing background information about the project and an explanation of the designer's challenge with the problematic site. With abundant natural light, clean design, and a number of custom materials, Susi Q Senior and Community Center is certain to impress …
Photo credits: LPA.