As an interesting example of adaptive reuse, I thought it would be fun to showcase the design of Menefee + Winer’s office in Atlanta, Georgia. Located at 1075 Brady Avenue near Georgia Tech, the 4,100 sf building used to be bland, gray muffler shop (see bottom) — but now with its vibrant colors and fierce shape, how about the transformation? This LEED Silver building is also, interestingly, the first LEED-NC certified architect’s office in Georgia. Here are a few things they incorporated through the gut rehab:
- high reflective roofing and paving to reduce heat island effect
- high performance building envelope
- studio is completely daylit
- high-efficiency mechanical and lighting systems
- low-VOC finishes throughout
- landscaping that requires no irrigation.
Photo credits: Menefee + Winer.