Consumers Spend $3 Billion/Year on Nothing!

Vampireenergy

Vampire energy, aka phantom loads, is estimated to cost U.S. consumers about $3 billion per year.  I know, it’s not really that much … I mean, if you break it down to the individual level, that’s only $10 per person ($3 billion / 300 million).  But the point is, it’s money that goes in the pocketbook of energy companies and their shareholders — it’s not going in yours.  The chart above is courtesy of GOOD, the magazine that always brings a full-page spread to otherwise obfuscatory information.

I wrote a post for Building Green TV a little bit back with some stats from the Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook:

  • If one million households halved their phantom power load, we’d eliminate 150,000 tons of CO2 per year;
  • It’s estimated that only 5% of the power drawn by cell phone chargers is actually used to charge phones, so the other 95% is waste when left plugged in;
  • Buy Energy Star appliances when you can and you’ll cut up to 50% of the phantom energy load;
  • TV and VCRs alone waste $1 billion in lost electricity in the U.S. annually. ##

Via Re-Nest.


Article tags: ,
  • http://www.postgreen.com Chad Ludeman

    One more reason to make “Whole House Switches” or similar technologies standard in today’s homes.

    Low-tech systems like power strips for your desk where all phones can be charged as well as a single power strip for your entertainment equipment that can be switched off when not in use can help right away also.

  • http://www.GreenMortgageGroup.com Brian LeBars

    Congress did pass the “Vampire Slayers Act” regulating how much in detail how much energy certain appliances can use. Pretty expensive for nothing.

  • http://www.odograph.com odograph

    One more reason to buy a Kill-A-Watt and put it to good use.

    (I bet you the multiple, recessed, ceiling lights that people have gone crazy installing the last few years absolutely crush the vampire load in comparison. Do you NEED 8 100w bulbs in your kitchen?)

Popular Topics on Jetson Green