[Video: 4:25 min.] Armstrong World Industries, Inc. (NYSE: AWI) is based in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and operates in the business of designing and manufacturing floors, ceilings, and cabinets. Their current headquarters was built in 1998 and is now part of an elite group of buildings to obtain the LEED Platinum certification for existing buildings. Feel free to click the above link to see video of Armstrong’s HQ building. The 3-story building is a glass and steel structure that has workspaces for about 235 employees. Here are a few things they did to take the green plunge:
- 60% of the building’s waste is recycled;
- Building water use was reduced to 420,000 gallons (from 800,000 gallons);
- Less than 1.5 watts/sf of energy is used, which is 1/2 the national average for comparable properties;
- 75% of the building’s power is supplied by wind energy; and
- Green Seal-certified cleaning products are used throughout the building.
Article tags: Green Business, video